Renew a LAADC*!
CCAPP invites you to become a Licensed Advanced Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LAADC*) and to join our campaign to pass Licensure in California
A Licensed Advanced Alcohol Drug Counselor is the highest level on CCAPP's career path. With a master's degree, professional liability insurance, and standards equal or higher than licensing statutes in other states, the LAADC puts CCAPP counselors on par with other licensed disciplines in California. The Affordable Care Act is opening new avenues and the demand for licensed level counselors has never been higher. Don't wait for the California Legislature to recognize your qualifications, get licensed today!
Check out CCAPP’s terrific offerings of online classes.… they’re convenient, inexpensive and CCAPP-approved!
Requirements for renewing the LAADC*:
- Completed LAADC renewal application
- Completion of 50 hours of CEUs including six hours in ethics and confidentiality
- Signed CCAPP Code of Conduct for Licensed Advanced Alocohol & Drug Counselors
- Signed State of California AOD Counselor Code of Conduct
- Signed LAADC Scope of Practice
- Payment of $200
*If LAADC status expired more than 30 days, applicant must complete all initial renewal requirements and submit with $200 renewal fee and a $70 late fee = $270.
*LAADC is a non-governmental license
Application Processing Times
Application processing times can take up to 30 days. All steps in an application must be submitted in full, must be complete, and must be accurate. An application is complete when every step has a green bubble. A green bubble with a white checkmark means CCAPP staff have verified and approved that step. Any step that is rejected will have a red bubble and must be corrected by the applicant. The processing time will be delayed and not resume until the applicant corrects the rejected step and re-submits all/any rejected steps.
Certemy User Tips
Do not use multiple email accounts. If you need to change your email address, see below.
Do not use your work email address. Accessing your Certemy account if you change jobs will become difficult, especially if you forget your password. Changing your email address is not a simple process and takes time. Avoid delays by using a personal email address.
When opening a new application, do not use alternate email accounts. Re-enter the exact same information (name, email address, password) you submitted for the original application.
Email or other profile changes must either be submitted through our [Contact Us] section or relayed to CCAPP personnel directly through a phone call or direct email.
Password resets are done through the Certemy login portal with the [Forgot password?] button.
Name changes are done in account by selecting the [profile details] link from the profile icon in the top right.
Be precise in your spelling: your documents are printed according to the information you provide.
If you require assistance, use our information request form.
If you are a CAADE transfer, DO NOT use this application until you have been issued a CCAPP certification! You must have a valid CCAPP certification ID number to use this renewal application. Please return when you have received your CCAPP certification in your digital wallet. To apply for transfer, click here.
To renew for the LAADC online, please click here:
To renew the LAADC - CA or for CAADE transfers needing to renew the LAADC - CA, please click here:
To renew the LAADC-S online, please click here:
For additional resources, please see the links below:
Renewal of Certification hours - Clarification
A total of 50 hours of continuing education is required every two years for most CCAPP credentials*. These hours must include a minimum of 40 continuing education hours, of which six must be in ethics. Continuing education hours must be earned through a CCAPP approved provider with a current provider number. 10 hours may be earned in "professional development (professional development hours PDHs). PDHs do not have to be earned through CCAPP providers. The 50 hour requirement can be met with all CEH education, or any combination of hours, as long as the PDH portion is NOT MORE THAN 10 HOURS.
I. Continuing Education: Alcohol/Drug Counseling CCAPP (provider numbers are required, 40 hours minimum)
- A. Workshops/seminars: Counseling Skills Basic Courses including at Masters Level may not be used for renewal. Minimum of 30 hours must be completed in workshops and seminars in the counseling skill, and must be given by approved providers with current CCAPP approved provider numbers. It is responsibility of the applicant to make sure that the workshop has an approved provider number. All documentation must have the approved provider number and be in advanced alcohol/drug skills.
- B. Design/Implementation/Presentation of Alcohol/Drug Counseling Topics for an approved CCAPP provider number. (Document by submitting a letter from administrator, supervisor or coordinator of activity starting date, type of activity, hours involved, outline of activities, and sample brochures, handouts, and other educational materials.
- C. Initial oral training by Approved ICRC/AODA Supervisors. (Document by submitting a copy of Certificate)
- D. Ethics: Six (6) hours effective Jan. 2013
- Trainers receive 1 hour for preparation for each hour if training and each hour for presentation.
II. Professional Development Hours: CCAPP provider numbers are not required (10 hours maximum)
- A. Design/Implementation/Presentation of Alcohol/Drug Counseling and related topics. Not an approved provider program. (Document by submitting a letter from administrator, supervisor or coordinator of activity starting date, type of activity, hours involved, outline of activities, and sample brochures, handouts, and other educational materials.
- B. In-service Education. Formalized training within institutions such as clinics and treatment centers provided for the development/enhancement of skills. (Document by submitting letter or certificate verifying participation.
- C. Self-improvement seminars, workshops, etc. Formal organized workshop/training which focuses on personal and professional growth issues: (1) Burnout workshop/seminar; (2) Personal growth (identification of strength and limitations, stress management, relaxation, leisure time skills, proper nutrition, spirituality): (3) relapse prevention; (4) Professional Growth (self-assessment, resources, professional behavior, support services; i.e., ACA. eating disorders, child abuse, etc., peer assistance.) (5)Instruction hours of retreat programs which meets the above criteria of professional development are accepted.
Included as Professional Development
- CCAPP Board of Directors Meeting participation. CCAPP Credentailing Board meeting participation.
- CCAPP District Meeting Participation
- Approved CCAPP/CCAPP Credentialing Committee Volunteer Work (document by submitting letter or certificate verifying participation).
- Examination performed by qualified CPM Evaluators/Commissioners
Not Included as Professional Development
- Volunteer 12 Step Work
- Volunteer Counseling at Step Houses/Service Centers
- 12 Step Meeting Attendance
- Group or Individual Counseling or psychotherapy
- Alcohol Anonymous, AA Retreats
Feel free to request more information, by using our information request form.