Certified Mental Health Recovery Peer Specialist
Applicant attests to lived experience as an adult who has been in recovery for a minimum of two years from a substance use or mental health condition.
Notice: Grandparenting period is open from January 1, 2020, to June 1, 2020.
The career ladder is designed to advance upward. It is not permissible to step down the ladder from any level.
- Recovery Support
- Professional Responsibility
- Certification Application: $100 ($50 if a BHAP individual member https://bhap.us/membership/)
- Exam: Fee waived
- Annual Renewal: $75 ($25 if a BHAP individual member https://bhap.us/membership/)
STANDARDS AND REQUIREMENTS
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Degree (GED)
- 500 hours of supervised work and/or volunteer experience providing peer-to-peer recovery support services
- 40 hours of content-specific training
- 3 letters of recommendation for certification
- Attest to lived experience (select from Adult, Family, Veteran, or Youth)
- Agree to be bound by the Mental Health Professional Code of Conduct
- Exam waived during grand-parenting period
- Submit all required CMHRPS certification forms and fees
- Complete 10 continuing education credits from an BHAP approved provider prior to CMHRPS expiration annually
- Follow the Mental Health Professional Code of Conduct
- Submit all required documentation and the renewal fee by June 30 each year (Renewal fee: $75)
40 Hour Approved Education Providers
Certified Recovery Peer Specialist-Family (CMHRPS-F)
Applicant attests to lived experience as a family member or caregiver to another individual who has or is in recovery from a substance use or mental health condition.
Certified Recovery Peer Specialist-Veteran (CMHRPS-V)
Applicant attests to lived experience as a veteran of the armed forces who has been in recovery for a minimum of two years from a substance use or mental health condition.
Certified Recovery Peer Specialist-Youth (CRPS-Y)
Applicant attests to lived experience as an individual currently between the ages of 18 and 29 who experienced a significant life challenge(s) during the ages of 14 - 25 and is living a wellness and/or recovery oriented lifestyle for at least two years.
Application Processing Times
Application processing times can take four to six. All steps in an application must be submitted in full, must be complete, and must be accurate. An application is complete when every step has a green bubble. A green bubble with a white checkmark means CCAPP staff have verified and approved that step. Any step that is rejected will have a red bubble and must be corrected by the applicant. The processing time will be delayed and not resume until the applicant corrects the rejected step and re-submits all/any rejected steps.
Certemy User Tips
Do not use multiple email accounts. If you need to change your email address, see below.
Do not use your work email address. Accessing your Certemy account if you change jobs will become difficult, especially if you forget your password. Changing your email address is not a simple process and takes time. Avoid delays by using a personal email address.
When opening a new application, do not use alternate email accounts. Re-enter the exact same information (name, email address, password) you submitted for the original application.
Email or other profile changes must either be submitted through our [Contact Us] section or relayed to CCAPP personnel directly through a phone call or direct email.
Password resets are done through the Certemy login portal with the [Forgot password?] button.
Name changes are done in account by selecting the [profile details] link from the profile icon in the top right.
Be precise in your spelling: your documents are printed according to the information you provide.
If you require assistance, use our information request form.